Misalignment of the teeth can have a negative impact on the appearance of the smile. Many patients avoid bringing up their dissatisfaction with their smile to their dentist for fear of being told they need braces. However, Nashua, NH area patients who are interested in straightening their teeth are often excited to learn that braces are not the only option available to them. A solution known as Invisalign allows patients to improve the alignment of their teeth without metal brackets and wires, instead using clear aligner trays that are discreet, yet effective.
Braces vs. Invisalign
Many patients who are interested in realignment of the natural teeth in the dental arch are often excited to learn that there is another solution outside of conventional braces. Metal brackets and wires glued to the teeth to provide movement is not always the best solution. Instead, patients can ask about the benefits of using Invisalign instead of traditional orthodontia.
Below are just a few advantages of Invisalign vs. conventional braces
- Invisalign gives patients the opportunity to straighten their smiles without having brackets glued onto the teeth.
- Invisalign is more discreet than traditional braces, as the clear aligner trays snap over the dental arch and are practically invisible.
- Invisalign is more comfortable, thanks to the smooth plastic aligner trays used to achieve results.
- Invisalign is affordable and often comparable to traditional braces in cost.
- Invisalign achieves results in a short period of time with most patients seeing their results in less than a year.
- Invisalign is great for patients who have mild to moderate misalignment of the dental arch or the bite.
- Invisalign requires compliance from patients to achieve the results in the desired amount of time, which means wearing the trays for at least 20 hours a day.
- Invisalign allows for better oral health, as the trays can be removed to make it simple to brush and floss the teeth normally
- Invisalign improves self-confidence for patients and allows them to smile without restraint when they have a grin they are proud of!
Am I a candidate for Invisalign?
The best candidates for Invisalign orthodontics are patients who have mild to moderate misalignment of their natural smile. More severe cases may still be best suited for traditional braces to achieve results. Our doctors of Nashua Cosmetic and Restorative Dentistry, PLLC encourage patients to undergo an initial evaluation to determine if Invisalign is appropriate for their specific needs and the desires they have for a better aligned smile.
How does Invisalign work?
Invisalign uses clear plastic trays that are custom-made for a patient based on digitized impressions of the current smile. Invisalign creates a series of trays that gradually reposition the teeth over the course of time. Each tray is worn for two weeks before the next tray is used. Patients remove the trays to eat, drink, and care for their teeth, and wear them at all other times during the day and night for optimum results. When patients do not comply with their treatment, they may experience issues such as slower results, needing additional trays, or a delay in the treatment altogether. It is important that patients understand how essential wearing the tray as recommended is in achieving the results they want in the timeframe desired.
How do I care for my trays?
When patients remove their trays to brush and floss their teeth, they can also brush their trays with non-abrasive toothpaste and a soft toothbrush to keep them clean. This is a good idea to consider as these trays are up against the natural tooth enamel for most of the day and night. Patients can brush and floss their teeth when they remove their trays to avoid the development of cavities and gum disease.
Interested in finding out if Invisalign is right for you?
The team at Nashua Cosmetic and Restorative Dentistry, PPLC can assist patients in determining the best treatment for their specific needs. Call us today at (855) 363-3793 and visit the office in Nashua, NH at 1 Trafalgar Square, Suite #103. We welcome new patients in and around the community seeking comprehensive dental care solutions for their smiles!